Enforcement of Court Orders and Contempt

There are a various court orders that may come from a divorce case. Those orders can deal with property distribution, child custody and timesharing, alimony, and/or child support. It is very frustrating to have a court order resolving an issue and your ex-spouse does not honor it. Not following a court order can result in serious consequences. These consequences may include lawyer fees, loss of driver’s license, bank account levies, tax return seizures or jail time.

If your ex-spouse has been ordered to do a specific thing as a result of the divorce case and does not follow it, Winston Law, P.A. can help you enforce your court order. The process of enforcing a court order begins with filing a motion for contempt against the other party. After the motion is filed, the judge will set an evidentiary hearing. At the evidentiary hearing, the Petitioner (party bringing the contempt motion) will be required to prove that the Respondent (party accused of being in contempt) has not adhered to the court order.

If you have been accused of not following a court order and a contempt motion is filed against you, it is very important for you to have a knowledgeable attorney on your side. Winston Law, P.A. can defend you against a claim that you are in violation of a court order by cross examining the other party’s claims and offering evidence to the court.

If you or a loved one need a skilled and experienced lawyer or are interested in additional information, contact Winston Law, P.A. at susan@winstonlawpa.com or (561) 670-9375.