After concluding your alimony, timesharing, and child support agreements, it is possible that your needs and situation may change over time. You will need to petition the court to change your current agreement. In order to change any current settlement agreement the party seeking modification must show considerable changes in circumstances.

Modification of Alimony

As the financial circumstances of the parties change after divorce, it may be necessary to alter the amount or type of spousal support. It is essential to have a knowledgeable and well trained lawyer review your situation and determine whether you qualify for a modification of alimony/spousal support payments. In order to alter alimony, the courts will require that the moving party show a substantial change in circumstance. Some significant changes in circumstance that may allow modification are; one party losing their job, one party making substantially less money or receiving a significant salary increase.

Modification of Child Support

The goal of child support is to make sure that your child is living a comfortable and stable life style. If the financial standing of one or both parties change, child support can be legally modified. A substantial change in monetary standing can include one party losing their job, one party making much less money or receiving a significant salary increase, changes in daycare or health insurance.

Modification of Child Custody

At times, modification of the terms of your child custody/timesharing agreement may be necessary. Some modifications can be more critical than others, especially if one parent feels the child is in any danger. In order to change an agreement that is already in place, the moving party must prove both a significant change in situation and that it is in the best interests of the child to change the agreement. Situations may include, one household becoming abusive or unsafe for the children, relocation of a parent, or life style changes including work hours and drug or alcohol abuse of one party.

Your children’s well-being is the most important part of the divorce process. Winston Law, P.A. wants to be sure that your children are properly cared for and supported. If your financial situation or your ex-spouses financial situation has changed it is important that you to speak with a skilled and experienced lawyer to discuss the possible changes to your child support order.

If you or a loved one are considering a modification of your divorce settlement agreement or are interested in more information, contact Winston Law, P.A. at or (561) 670-9375.