Grandparent and Relative Custody

Florida Law does not specifically accommodate for grandparents and other relatives to have visitation or timesharing rights with their grandchildren. However, there are certain circumstances where grandparents and other relatives may seek custody of the children to protect them from an unsafe environment. If your grandchild has been abused, abandoned, has parents suffering from substance abuse, or has parents suffering from severe mental health problems making their living environment unsafe, grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles can step in to help give a safe and stable living environment for the child.

If you or a loved one are considering grandparent or relative custody or are interested in more information, contact Winston Law, P.A. at or (561) 670-9375.